2012 Water and Wastewater Rates
What You Need to Know About Sodium in Drinking Water Fact Sheet
Sodium is a mineral that can be found in drinking water. It is also one of the chemical elements found in table salt (known as sodium chloride). Sodium is not considered a toxic element; up to 5000mg (5g) of sodium a day is consumed by normal adults. Analysis of sodium testing conducted over the past 20 years in St. Marys has shown no measurable increase of sodium in our drinking water.
The human body needs sodium in order to maintain blood pressure, control fluid levels and for normal muscle and nerve function. Sodium occurs naturally in various levels in all foods. Sodium in drinking water is not a health concern for most people. However, sodium may be an issue for someone with severe hypertension, congestive heart failure or people on a sodium-restricted diet.
For more information on sodium in drinking water please see our Fact Sheet.
What You Need to Know About Door to Door Water Testing
- No door-to-door sales people are authorized to make a health-based test on your water.
- Door-to-door water tests do not tell you about water safety.
- Chemical trickery may make your water look brown, just because of natural mineral content.
- If you have any concerns about water safety, contact the town of St. Marys Water Department at 519-284-2340.
- If you believe you may have been misled by a door-to-door salesperson, learn more about your rights under the Consumer Protection Act.
As you may know Ontario water purification companies are using some questionable tactics to make people think their tap water is dirty. The Ministry of the Environment (MOE) also uncovered sales pitches laced with scary warnings to sell products that cost thousands of dollars.
To alert the public MOE worked with the Ministry of Consumer Services (MCS) on a web page called What You Need to Know About Door to Door Water Testing. It’s running in the spotlight panel of the MCS website this week. In addition, this posting, based on a vignette in the 2008-2009 Chief’s Drinking Water Inspector Report, will continue to appear on MCS’ homes and door to door web pages.
For more information on door to door water testing sales tactics please see the CBC Marketplace information here.
The Drinking Water Quality Management System (DWQMS)
The Town of St. Marys Policy on the DWQMS
The Town is committed to:
· Ensuring a consistent supply of safe, high quality drinking water
· Maintaining and continually improving it’s quality management system
· Meeting and surpassing applicable regulations and legislation
A copy of the Town of St. Marys Well Supply Operational Plan is available for viewing at the Municipal Operations Centre, 408 James St. S., St. Marys during regular business hours.
Water Department Contacts:
Environmental Coordinator - Dave Blake - 519-284-2340 ext 209
View Compliance Reports
Town of St. Marys, Water Financial Plan